Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Crossing to Safety

I rarely read books for a second time, mainly because I am a slow reader and there are so many good books I haven't yet read. But recently I decided to reread Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner. 

It had been about 30 years since I first read it. I did not remember it well, but I did remember liking it very much. After the second read this summer, I can report that I liked it just as much, maybe more.

Crossing to Safety is not a book of high drama. It is a book about friendship, marriage, aging, and life's other challenges, focusing on two couples as they traverse their lives from their youth as struggling academics to their later years of greater wisdom and inevitable loss. 

I read somewhere that, though fiction, the book is autobiographical. That makes sense. It reads like a thoughtful and honest memoir, which is a genre I love.