Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Which math courses?

In response to my previous post offering advice to aspiring economists, a student emails me:

Since the time allocation is limited, I can take only some math courses and the problem is that I am not sure which courses are most important for a successful economist and which course I should take first. Can you possibly suggest for me a list of math courses that a typical economics student should take step by step?
Here is one plan of action:
Calculus
Linear Algebra
Multivariable Calculus
Real Analysis
Probability Theory
Mathematical Statistics
Game Theory
Differential Equations
There is, of course, some flexibility about the order of courses. Check the prerequisites at your school to figure out the right sequencing.

Let me also recommend a book if you need a crash course for catch up or review: Mathematics for Economists by Carl P. Simon and Lawrence Blume.